11.16.2001

I have decided that I am either going to:

a. Quit my job and get a temp job
b. Continue to work my job but send out resumes as if I am unemployed.

These two courses of action may seem a bit extreme but here are some of the reasons:
--I am expected to offer technical support for the software we sell. I have wroked with the company for 4 days and I am now in charge of answering all of the support emails that we receive. This doesn't sound so bad right? Wrong. I have never even seen the software much less utilized the software. I have had no training regarding any sort of trouble-shooting. Essentially I have absolutely no way of answering customer's questions. How can I go into a place and feel comfortable when I am suppossed to be providing answers to people who have spent thousands of dollars and are very upset, when I have no idea what their problem could possibly be?
--The job entails me to move things around the office--this includes a 100 pound sign case that is used for conventions. In all honesty this case weighs almost as much as I do. I also have to move around 50 lb boxes of paper. I had a job that required me to do things like this once before and I hurt my back badly. My back still gives me trouble as a result. That was 3 years ago.
--My job requires me to put things in the attic. The attic has it's own set of pull-down stairs. I actually had to tighten the stairs myself before I would climb the ladder. All of the bolts were loose and some were ready to actually fall out. Very dangerous.
--Yesterday when they had me putting things in the attic, I hurt myself. The attic is essentially a crawl space about 3 feet tall and kind of difficult to see. There were 2 3" nails sticking out of the ceiling and I hit my head on 1. It hurt a lot. I think I only bled a little bit but still I was still bleeding and in pain.
--Here is a list of the job tasks I am suppossed to complete everyday:
1. Answer Support emails.
2. Complete all tasks in my in-box (generally letters to fax etc...)---- not a big deal
3. Enter all invoices into Quickbooks.
4. Scan everyone's credit cards and enter all payments into Quickbooks.
5. Deposit all payments in quickbooks.
6. Assemble all shipments.
7. Relieve the receptionist when she goes to lunch.
8. Keep track of all inventory.
9. Actually go to the store and purchase any items that need to be purchased (using my vehicle of course).
10. Assist the receptionist with the outgoing mail.
There are many other duties but I think that you get the picture. I feel like I am whining but it's just too much. There is no way that one person can actually complete all of these tasks by themselves. In addition my boss is kind of a bitch. She is the type that watches over your shoulder constantly and then picks apart whatever you do. I have been through that before and I am the type of person who does a good job, but I honestly need some type of freedom. Also, I must admit that I am very scared of being hurt. It seems that this job is truly an accident waiting to happen. I truly feel that my safety and health are at stake. I just don't know what to do.

Please feel free to comment with your opinions in fact I am asking for your advice.

As it stands right now, I think Kim and I have decided that for the sake of my safety I might need to find another job. How I go about this is a different story. I want to try and stick it out but honestly I could get badly hurt between now and then. If I get in an accident with my car when I am on a comapny errand--my insurance won't pay. I guess I am just really scared and confused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home