11.10.2003

Tecahing in the inner-city is definitely a strange experience. Here are two stories to tug on your heart strings.

On Friday I found out that one of my student's mothers had removed him from my class so he can take band class. This child tested as having the mathematical skills of slow 6th grader, even though he is in 9th grade. He needs my class more than band, but there is nothing I can do about it. I spoke with his guidance counselor who told me that she is going to let his band teacher give him his reprt card grade. He was in my class for 7 weeks and band for 2 weeks. I am confident that as I have spent considerably more time with the child, I am much more qualified to give him a grade. Total B*LLSH!t!

Today, I found out that the brother of one of my students was shot last night. Her uncle was killed two weeks ago. She did not know her brother's condition, hopefully he will make a full recovery since his is only 16 years old.

In happier news, I am going to the dentist on Friday. I have not been in 2 years, so this should be interesting. The best part is that I am in pain, which translates to bad news is most certainly on the horizon. Perhaps I will luck out and will just be a loose filling or something.

I bought the new David Cross documentary today, but have yet to watch it. It is called "Let America Laugh," and is a documentary of his Spring 2002 tour. Note it is not a comedy DVD, but rather a documentary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home