10.23.2003

This has been a very exciting week and not in a good way. Yesterday a student called me a "motherf@cker," and then swung at me--fortunately I am quick and avoided the blow. That's right folks, I was almost hit by a student. After his swing he told me that he was going to beat me up, and said "get off me n*gga'." I bet he is the product of a great household, and he certainly knows how to act in a courteous and respectful manner. Needless to say I wrote him up, called security etc...

Now, a few weeks ago I posted about the racism within Richmond City Schools, suggesting that it might be a reason to leave. In hindsight I see that my leaving would solve nothing, but now I feel as though my personal safety has been threatened. I am cool with it, to a degree, but I can't really see myself staying in Richmond City Schools too much longer. I realize that a teacher can be assaulted in any school, but statistically most of those attacks happen in the inner-city school districts. It sucks, but the environment really does drive people out. I teach to help educate the youth of America, not to be insulted, which happens daily, to be cursed at, to listen to comments about the color of my skin, or most importantly to have a child attempt to hit me. I am not getting a Master's in Education so I can be treated this way. Call me a quitter, but after this school year, I'm out. I still plan to teach, but not in the inner-city.

Today, I had to break up a fight in the hallway. I could really use some quiet time right now.

In other news, I got the results back from my ultrasound and my testicles are free of cancer. I am pretty relieved. The idea of losing a testicle was bringing me down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home