10.03.2003

Maybe I'm just not reading the right articles or looking in the proper places but I never really hear anything about prejudice against caucasians in the african-american community. I would like to state the following: it is in my experience extremely prevalent. I am not saying that there aren't semi-valid reasons behind the prejudice but rather stating that I never see anything written or said about it. I had to write a student up today for referring to a classmate of mixed ethnicity as a "cracker." This is far from the first time I have heard this word used in an extremely negative context, but it is the first time I have written someone up for it. I never make comments about anyone else's race and I am sick of hearing comments about mine. Some comments are even directed at me.

A friend of mine is about to resign after teaching for 18 yearsin the City of Richmond, because he is sick of being called a "white-motherfucker" to his face by his 7th grade students. I would also like to mention that the all-african-american administration at his school will do nothing to help him. I am not trying to downplay slavery or any number of events related to African-Americans, but I am attempting to express that two wrongs don't make a right. We are desperate for teachers in this country, particularly in the inner-city schools, yet excellent educators are being driven out of these school districts as a result of the prejudice they are encountering.

I would like to say that it is just a few who are saying these these things, but in fact it it is many. I am sorry for the things that have happened in the past, but I am in no way responsible. My ancestors did not arrive in this country until the early twentieth century, and never owned slaves or were members of the KKK. It seems ashame that the chain of prejudice filters down and I constantly hear the word "cracker" behind my back, or the word "faggot" screamed in the halls. Well, soon there will be no caucasian educators who are willing to teach in the inner-city and this is why. The most unfortuante part is that there are not enough African-American educators to fill these vacated positions. What will happen then? I am teaching in the inner-city because I feel I am needed, but I should not have to endure the prejudice. A lot of white people are bad people the same as with any race, but many of us are decent people who are willing and able to help. Driving us out will help no-one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home