9.24.2001

Walked over to The Video Fan. Probably the best video rental place in the city. The place is small but 2 stories with a room devoted to each genre of film i.e. a cult room, a horror room, a comedy room etc…. They had tons of good stuff but I really was not interested in renting anything. More like just something to do. I then decided to go to the thrift store. I got this really sweet pair of vintage 1970’s Puma sneakers for $15. In really nice shape thus the price. They are maroon suede. I know suede is not vegan but hey when the article of clothing is used and 20 years old, I really don’t think it matters.

While I was in line there were these 2 Mexican dudes one in each checkout lane. Each guy had a shopping cart filled with sneakers. It took me forever to figure out that they must be sending them back home—most of them were women’s shoes in a variety of sizes. The one guy was in front of me and was looking at me like I was crazy for buying these old ass 1970’s shoes, of course he was buying a ton of Avia styles (Circa 1986-1988). Admittedly, I was looking at him like he was kind of crazy myself. Neither of us saw anything wrong with our purchases and both of us seemed quite happy, in retrospect it was obvious that everyone around us thought we were both crazy. I think that the observers were probably correct on both accounts. Some middle-class white kid buying shoes that went of style in normal circles around the year he was born, and 2 Hispanic guys with 2 shopping carts literally overflowing with old sneakers. Most of the sneakers were in fact Avia now that I think about it. I think I know where Avia needs to throw some of those advertising dollars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home