8.03.2001

I called in sick to work today. I am updating this from my PC at home for the first time. I find it very exciting. It is totally and completely different. Not at all. I am actually ill suprisingly enough. I was up from 3:00 AM to 5:30 AM having digestive problems which involved me being incapacitated sitting on the toilet. It gave me plenty of time to read the "True Adventures of the Rolling Stones" which I have been reading since last week. It is a very good book. For anyone who actually likes "The Rock", I highly recommend it. It is a seemingly accurate portrayal of the lives that the Rolling Stones led. The book tends to stay away from the sort of descriptions of excess that other Rock Bios tend to get caught up in. I read "Hammer of the Gods", the Led Zepelin biography, a while back and the whole book was like they did these drugs and fucked these girls etc... I felt like I was reading Wilt Chamberlin's diary. The only complaint I have with "The True Adventures..." is that the author has said a whole lot of times that being on tour with the Stones messed him up really bad. I am pretty sure he is going to end up getting divorced soon after Altamont. This point was made at the very beginning of the book. He continues to make this point at least once in every chapter. We all get the picture. The guy also seems to ignore that his marriage gets fucked up because he is cheating on his wife, and doing lots and lots of drugs. He seems to be blaming the tour as oppossed to himself. People are fucking weird.

I am going to go to the record store in a little while and see what I can find. Then I am going to take a nap.

I was just watching "Almost Famous" and realized that I need to reccommend "Psychotic Reactions and Carburator Dung" by Lester Bangs to everyone reading this. The book is a collection of a bunch of his writing. If you cannot locate the book--find some of his stories on-line. He is long winded but excellent. I should also add this disclaimer---If you do not know at least some stuff about Classic Rock and Rock Music in general, most of the writing will probably go over your head. It is very fast and full of references.

One of my neighbors was practicing the flute. I felt as though I were at a Jethro Tull concert. I was going to demand "Aqualung", then I realized that would make me vomit. I will probably be doing that very soon anyway. The lady that lives below me also finally introduced herself to me. She was an Art Professor at Maryt Washington College, where I went. She taught there from 1999-this past May. She has always ignored Kim and I. She was very nice to me today. I have met her before. When I was a bartender I served her once. She has a bunch of straightedge tattoos, including an excellent Dag Nasty tattoo on her upper arm--I recognized her by these. She is obviously not Straightedge anymore, then again neither am I. It must be weird to have XXX on the back of your hand and then order a drink. My tattoos may not all look like the most meaningful things to someone who does not know me but at least none of them embarass me when I am at a bar.

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home