8.13.2004

The district I am teaching in is so radically conservative it's ridiculous. They require male teachers to wear ties, told me that I was not allowed to use a number of table lamps instead of the fluorescent lights, and they actually pray before every fucking meeting begins. You're probably saying to yourself: "That is totally illegal!" Of course you are right. No one gets my sense of humor. I was kidding with my mentor this morning at my own expense and she told me how much she dislikes being teased. The other day I joked about showing Fahrenheit 9/11 to my Government class to my department chair and immediately said I was kidding and would never do that. Amazingly enough I still received a lecture on the political demographics of the region, and how I would be fired for showing that film.

Everyone appears to hate the principal, today my mentor referred to her as the "worst thing that has ever happened to the school." The turnover is ridiculously high and the level of intelligence amongst the staff is ridiculous. One of the members of my department did not know the meaning of the word "lecherous." The principal has also demonstrated her lack of vocabulary by asking the meaning of words that someone with a doctorate should definitely know. I don't mean to sound negative but I already feel oppressed by the right-wing Christian shit. My department chair went so far as to suggest that I join a church. In addition, I am amazed by the amount of comments lobbied against people from the north, referred to Pr!nce Edw@rd County schools exclusively as "Yankees." Its just the end of the first week and I already want out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home