1.27.2004

In my inbox:

"Some of you may already have heard the news that Sigur Rós have now left
FatCat. Since coming to an amicable agreement with us, they have decided to
sign a deal with EMI. Having discovered the band from being virtually unknown
and helped build them up into a position they now find themselves, we wish the
band all the best for the future and hope that EMI will provide them with the
both the creative freedom, nurturing care and attention to detail that they
received here."


First of all I detect a tone of hurt in the email, but most importantly this is probably a mistake. EMI is the same label that dropped the Sex Pistols, and will more than likely not give Sigur Ros the level of artistic freedom they have been used to. The band was doing quite well without the backing of a major label, and I find the signing confusing to say the least. Hopefully, this move will not destroy the band, as it has so many other independent acts. See Jawbox and Jawbreaker for examples. The bworst part is that they will more than likely see a decrease in income. Major labels always take more from an artist's royalties (points) than an independent label. I'm sure they had there reasons and this post has nothing to do with viewing them as sellouts, I just think they might be changing something that didn't need changing. Oh well, who knows? After all I am just a fan, and not a band-member. In the grand scheme of things, I could really care less as long as their music continues to be amazing and they tour sometime soon. Emphasis on soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring
on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
I know my viewers would value your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Also visit my web page; garcinia plus source naturals

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home