2.05.2002

Daiquiri is sick and is going to the vet at 11:15 AM. Not a very good start to the day. I left the house to head to class and promptly manage to get on 195N directly behind an open bed truck which was transporting live chickens to the slaughterhouse. I tried to speed up to pass him but was unable to so. I tried to slow down and drop back behind, then due to traffic he had to slow down as well. The feathers were falling on the road like snow. I can not even imagine how cold those animals must have been. As I merged onto 95N I noticed a chicken on the side of the road which had just fallen off of the truck and had been hit by a car. A site which almost brought me to tears. It got worse. Another mile up the ride I actually saw a chicken fall off the truck and land on the side of the road. The animal had a look of amazing fear in it's eyes, and I could see by the way she had landed that her legs had been broken in the fall. I hope that she has been hit by a car and put out of her misery by now. I had to pull off at the next exit just to get away from the truck. I almost went home but I got back on the road and made it to class, where I am now. Now I get to sit here and not learn anything while I think about what I saw this morning. I have never been so glad to be vegan in my life. Right now all the crap I have ever had to take for my beliefs and dietery choices was worth it. None of those animals will be on my plate this evening or probably ever again. I don't contribute to senseless killing. Oh yeah and I was even listening to The Smiths when all this was happening--not Meat Is Murder, but close enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home