2.02.2002

David Lowery used to piss me off.

I am currently listening to Cracker for the first time in about 5 years. I used to listen to them constantly when I was with my ex-girlfriend and as a result, I was unable to listen to them for an extended period of time. While I still liked their music the sound of one of their records playing made me very, very angry as bad memories re-surfaced. Much better now though.

Last weekend Kim and I went to Carytown and I saw this ring at a sidewalk vendor. A former co-worker of mine had one just like it, and though I tried for a while to locate one I was unable to do so. I finally found one and neglected to buy it. All week long I have been thinking about going back to Carytown this weekend and picking one up. Of course by Tuesday the neuroses kicked in and I was completely convinced that the vendor was not going to be returning this weekend (even though I have seen him there many times before) or that the ring that was my size would be gone. I went back last Sunday to try and purchase the ring--but nothing. I tried again on Wednesday, but no vendor. Anyone who knows me well is chuckling right now at this particularly 'Scott Moment'. Finally we went over there this morning and as I walked down the street (Carytown is only about 10 blocks away) I was convinced that he would not be there, and was already preparing myself for the inevitable 'bad luck'. Finally he came into view and I was very excited. He had just arrived and was in the process of setting his booth up--I would have to wait (of course thinking that 'my' ring would be gone the entire time). We wasted some time time in Plan 9 and then walked down to this trendy over-priced store called Mongrel. He was still not set up. I could see the space where the rings were usually located but the table was empty. We stood on the corner in the cold like a couple of 14th Street hookers waiting for him to start putting the rings out but instead he went into the Chinese Takeout/Chicken and Ribs joint next to his booth to get himself a Lipton iced tea. Finally I walked over and asked about the rings, which through my prompting he proceeded to put out. The ring was still there and 15 dollars later it was mine. I am happy. It was one of those rings which is a band but in the center is another 'band' which spins freely. Hard to describe--but cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home