1.31.2002

I just finished doing my HTML homework and now it is time to sit here and surf the web while listening to Iron Maiden.

At work last night I had a revelation. Many men (particularly those who work in the restaurant industry) spend an inordinate amount of time insulting their co-workers in an effort to make others laugh and essentially 'come out on top'. On Tuesdays I work with 'the girls', basically all the servers are women. Tuesdays are a very relaxing and enjoyable day because I don't have to tolerate a bunch of macho-agressive posturing---while the other male memebers of the staff try and convince each other that they are 'top dog'. What I mean by the previous statement is that I have begun to feel that men who stand around and consistently try and get the best of one another through verbal insults, are essentially acting out a modern day version of superiority within the 'pack'. As we are not wolves it is not acceptable to fight one another to see who is in fact the toughest male in the pack, instead this has been replaced with insults. Occassionally even dropping to the level of insulting one another's mothers, sexual prowess, sexuality etc... Now I don't mean to say that I do not particpate at all, but rather my comments are considerably less frequent and usually less insulting and more kidding/less hurtful. I know some of you are probably thinking that I am bitching about this because I cannot compete. The truth is that I can compete, but I learned a long time ago that trying to make someone else feel inferior is not a way to feel better about oneself it will only succeed in making someone else feel worse. I guess too many people have too much to prove. It's a shame that most of them never seem to realize it.

Oh yeah, I didn't want to mention it before she did, but Kim was laid off yesterday. I know that I am obviously partial but I truly think that her company made a really big mistake in keeping other editors over her. You can head on over to her blog to read about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home