8.24.2001

Jawbreaker Live 4/30/96

Kim is home from work today and is currently taking a nap. Unfortunately she is not feeling too well today. We went to Patient First this morning as a result of an accident she had yesterday. She was out jogging at 6 AM and she inexplicably fell. She came home and woke me up to let me know that she had fallen. Her right hand had a big gash in it. Fortunately she is left handed. Both of her knees were cut up pretty bad as well. At the doctor today she was told that she may have chipped one of the bones in her wrist as well as cracked her left knee cap. We will find out for sure about both things on Sunday when the officlai x-rays come back from the radiologist.

Last night was the Rival Schools show. It was excellent.

The Ghost from Berkley, CA opened the show. They played their own special brand of totally and uterly completely fucking generic "emo". There were melodic parts and some singing and some screaming and some heavy parts. I was completely fucking bored. I have seen so many bands like that it makes me want to vomit. Up next were Thursday. I knew before hand that they were on Victory Records and expected the worst. They were fucking awesome. They came out and tore the room apart. Tons of energy. They sound like At The Drive In or Boy Sets Fire. The best parts of those bands anyway. Not preachy like BSF (fortunately). The singer actually almost break dances/pantomimes when he's not singing, the whole band goes crazy. They had to canel Wednesday's show due to illness and they all were still sick (the rhythm guitar player is suffering from malnutrition). I would love to see these guys when they are in the best of health.

Rival Schools were good. They are much more listener friendly than Quicksand ever was. Subsequently, I also don't think they are nearly as good as Quicksand. Their album comes out on Tuesday. They are very "emo". Walter still sounded great as did the rest of the band. The musicianship was top notch all around. The bass player and the lead guitarist use tons of effects (they both had effects boards that you would expect Slayer to have) which I really don't like, they also showed up in a tour bus (Where did they get the money for that?). I don't think I will buy their record but for fans of the emo genre (it became stale for me about 2 years ago) I highly reccommend it. Walter was funny in terms of his between song banter and the guitar player has a great full sleeve on his right arm. If you are die-hard fan and would like to know anything else please e-mail me as I am sick of writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home