12.15.2001

Last night was Kim's Holiday Office Party. It was OK. They gave out drink tickets 2 per person and I must admit that after the first 2 hours of the event I got bored (my drinks were also gone at that point). I was not in a particularly sociable mood last night and then the band started to wear on me. The company hired a cover band to play the party. The keyboard player in the group has a wife who works with Kim so that is how they got the job. Now as far as technical proficiency goes--these guys were great---unfortunately they are professional enough that they had their own PA. The room was pretty large but they had everything miked through the PA including all of the drums. They were so loud it was almost unbearable. I don't hear that well anymore any I was honestly unable to carry on a conversation with anyone which in turn made me really pissy. The band was actually loud enough that my ears were ringing when I got home. I always thought that you should be able to socialize at the company party, apparently what you should actually be doing is listening to a country-fied version of "One Toke Over The Line" at top fucking volume. For the vast majority of the evening no one danced and after an hour or so people even stopped clapping. At one point they stopped playing and the room went completely dead, which prompted even the singer to give a slight chuckle in embarrassment. I must state though that at one point the dance floor filled up with about 20 couples. What song could have driven the masses out onto the dance floor, you asked? Well of course it must be Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight". Everyone around me started discussing what the song was actually named. The consensus at the end of the discussion was that the title was "You Look Wonderful Tonight", even though the whole time I was muttering that it was simply Wonderful Tonight. In everyone's defense by this point the band was on to a rousing cover of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" complete with acoustic rhythm guitar--turns out that awesome riff loses something when played on a Martin Acoustic, and could not hear me. We took off at about 10:30 and came home.

I have a second interview for that restaurant I interviewed with last week at noon today. I was told that the interview would be "informal". I am going to show up in camouflage cut-offs and a wife-beater. Whatever questions they ask I am going to somehow manage to answer by relating the situation/answer to the hard-core scene. Here is an example:

Q: Why are you changing your career path?
A: Well back in the day Gorilla Biscuits said I gotta Start Today so that's what I'm doing. I guess that I was just bored with the direction I was heading in. I remember this one time I saw Sick Of It All at the Black Cat and there were all these problems during Ignite's set. Yeah you're right about Ray Cappo selling out too.

Q: What interests you about our restaurant?
A: This one time I was in the pit and I saw some guy get his nipple ring torn out, and then I thought I wanna work here.

Q: What hours would you be willing to work?
A: I tell you I saw H2O a couple of times but I would have to say that the show with Snapcase at The Capital Ballroom was the best. I guess my schedule is pretty open right now.

I think you get the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home