7.16.2006

I gotta say that one thing about teaching that really pisses me off is having to use my own money to buy supplies for the students. I just went out and spent $9 on writing utensils for the kids. How come nobody goes to school prepared anymore? No notebook, no pencil, in some cases no brain. I know someone out there is thinking: "but you teach in a poor district...they might not have the money for pencils or notebooks." In a few caes this is true, but in most cases it's just an example of misplaced priorities. $150 sneakers. $200 throwback jerseys. A new hairstyle every week. I know $9 is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it's the principle of the matter. I remeber one time in high school I lost all of my pens and I almost started crying because my teachers got so pissed off if you had to ask for a pen. How times have changed. Now the kids bitch at me if they want a blue pen and I only have a black one.

In completely unrelated news, Kim and I are going to Charleston, SC in a few weeks and it is gonna f*ckin' rock. Here's why:

We're staying in a haunted Bed and Breakfast.

Going on a Charleston Ghost & Dungeon Walking Tour.

Going on a Haunted Jail Tour.

and if that wasn't enough...

Going to the South Carolina Aquarium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home